Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gentlecloud

Singapore
15 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  09:27:02  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Thanks Alvin for the practical idea. I will definitely test out chapbooks.

Hey everyone, I have uncovered quite a number of writers' critique sites on the web. The one I found interesting is attached below. It also markets books relevant for writers such as 'How to write a good synopsis etc.' Their critique services here are fee-based though. Have a look and let me know if you have others which are good or that you have used.

http://www.jbwb.co.uk/

Also, if there are any who had used companies like Trafford to penetrate the global market, could you share your experiences. Are they worth the money they asked for?
Go to Top of Page

Gentlecloud

Singapore
15 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  22:31:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Hey Alvin, I have laid my hands on your book 'Testing the Silence' from NLB. I am not into poems but even then, it captivated me. I could identify with some of them. An example is that of 'Friction' which evokes a lot of sadness as it reminded me of a recent passing.

There is that raw one titled 'Passion' where you symbolized the ugliness of sin and subtly reminded me of what Jesus went through for us. I sat up and really took notice when I reached the one on 'Strange Fish' which places almost a divine power to the creator - the writer. Don't we all want to be able to do that...'with the rod of a pen, strange fish, as one by one, they begin to breathe:' Awesome.

I guess there is really no black and white answer to my question 'Can writers earn a decent living?' It's the perpetual catch all answer... 'It depends'. From the muted responses to this question as well as the postings of other writers, I begin to see the higher calling that most of you view writing. It is a self-expression, a lone voice crying out in the wilderness, a legacy that you want to leave behind.

Thanks for not mowing me down with my mammonist search for a goldmine, tainting the noble, beautiful spirit that most of you subscribe to. Through my short foray into this forum, I have gained a lot. I have learnt to rein in my material drive but instead, teach myself to soak in the loving creations that you have breathed life into.

I will become a more avid reader of Singapore works. Besides 'Testing the Silence', two other local creations are travelling with me on my holiday starting tomorrow. 'Following the wrong God home' by Catherine Lim which I have started on and am impressed with from the very first page. No wonder she is termed as a 'diva' by someone I spoke to :=) Well earned. Second one is Tan Hwee Hwee's 'Mammon Inc' that someone recommended in this forum.

If there are other recommendations, advice or even personal sharing, please let me know. Thanks.

Edited by - Gentlecloud on 13 Jun 2005 22:48:08
Go to Top of Page

alf

Singapore
92 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  00:26:01  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Don't forget to read Alfian Saat's ONE FIERCE HOUR and A HISTORY OF AMNESIA, as well as the Urban Anthology NO OTHER CITY. You might also want to try Daren Shiau's HEARTLAND, Cyril Wong's books, Toh Hsien Min's ENCLOSURE OF LOVE (esp for more formal stylistics). Also Felix Cheong's BROKEN BY THE RAIN, and Dave Chua's GONE CASE.
Go to Top of Page

Gentlecloud

Singapore
15 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  17:59:40  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, I have just googled to check the status of my site and found this series of old QLRS posts I made back in 2005. Its sweet naivete made me smile.

Anyway, it has been 6 years since that post. I thought I should give an update to anyone who happens to bump into this forum again.

I have published Through The Storm. I've also completed another novel titled Bright Links, Dark Links which I am working to have published, hopefully by November this year. And I'm now into my third novel. I also have a children's book published by Panpac Media. How's that for progress? :D

I've just set up my website. If you have time, do check it out. There is also a forum there for a discussion on favourite fiction. I would be delighted if you could participate in them.

http://www.gentlecloudonline.com

I'm working on putting a animation video there as well for Through The Storm. It should be ready by mid-August. Let me know what you think. Thanks, folks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
QLRS Forum © QLRS & Contributors Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered by Snitz Forums 2000