Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

M.Chu

Singapore
31 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  19:00:07  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
For me, from what I've gathered, it's "probably" (in the line of Carlsberg's beer ad) the following:
1. Write.
2. Write some more.
3. Keep on writing.

Over to you, fellow writers.

P.S. Ever heard of the best reading advice for readers?

Edited by - M.Chu on 04 Jul 2004 09:54:22

Renée

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  09:36:41  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Best advice would have to be, read as much and as widely as possibly and write a minimum of 200 words a day, no matter what.

Advice to readers would be to keep their mind open at all times.
Go to Top of Page

ayk

Singapore
8 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2004 :  15:10:10  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Seems like it's kinda quiet.
Thought i add in some of my thoughts...

I find it hard to log in even 100 words a day for my writing.
Just too pooped when i'm back home at night. Most of the time i just stare at my monitor. The story is screaming, but the words don't make much sense when they come out.
Should i continue on writing without doing much editing (in order to at least complete part of the work)? Or should I do the editing on the spot, lest it is incomprehensible when i reread it?

and i know i've asked this before...but i can't find the thread...so here goes...
how does the process of publishing work?
do i just call up a publisher to show them my manuscript?
should i show my manuscript to multiple publishers at one go?
how does the payment work?
do i still have copyright of my work if a publisher happens to publish it?

thanks for any advice.
Go to Top of Page

M.Chu

Singapore
31 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2004 :  00:34:23  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Dear ayk,

The general advice, from what I've read, is to write/type whatever comes to mind and let it flow so as not to stifle your stream of thoughts. I write when my mind is abuzz (early in the morning after a good night's sleep). At other times I write too, but it would be a struggle. Published writers say we have to apply glue to the seat of our pants; writing muscles have to be developed.

After I've written longhand, I find it relatively easy to type it out into the computer and do the editing at the same time. Maybe you could try this. Writing is hard work, involving lots of re-writes, and every writer is deserving of the copyright, royalty and accolade for his/her publication. Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway), I'm happy for Suchen Christine Lim, Tan Hwee Hwee, Alfian Sa'at, Felix Cheong and Claire Tham, whose work have been shortlisted under the English category of the Singapore Literature Prize (SLP) 2004 (Straits Times' Life! dated 25/09/2004).

As for the business of publishing, I would recommend that you check out Writers Digest website (http://www.writersdigest.com), subscribe to their free online newsletter, and loan a copy or more from the National Library -- Writers Digest contains useful articles on all aspects of the writing business, including the publishing process.

Also, you can do the following:
a)make use of the "Link" in QLRS'website to access National Book Development Council website where some publishers are listed;
b)check out the various "Publishers" listed; and
c)access the respective Publishers website and, where available, study and follow their guidelines for submission.

And, you can go to "Interviews" in QLRS' website and read Toh Hsien Min's interview of Tan Hwee Hwee (read the second page as well where she shared her experience with international publishing).

Hope this helps.

P.S. Keep writing and read "The Key To Success : Write More" by Lee Tobin McClain within the "News" segment of this Forum under the topic "Writing World (Issue 4:20; 30-Sep-2004)".
Go to Top of Page

M.Chu

Singapore
31 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2004 :  22:54:06  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
This writing advice is from Caroline Alexander (who gained cross-genre fame with The Endurance, Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition. Her latest success is The Bounty: The True Story of The Mutiny on the Bounty):

"Read, read, read. I read a great piece of advice from Stephen King that said he's very suspicious of people who want to be writers but aren't voracious readers.

If you're not a voracious reader, you shouldn't be a writer. You're after something else, maybe a lifestyle, or a way of earning a living, or you just like the idea of being a writer. If you want to be part of this fraternity of people who tell stories, you have to have grown up aching to read the stories and wanting to be part of the whole process."

This other piece of advice is from Christopher Paolini whose first novel, Eragon,reached third on The New York Times bestseller list just two weeks after its August 2003 release. He cited The Writer's Handbook (by Writer Inc.) as one of the books that he consulted before writing Eragon.

"The most valuable essay I read in that book was by Stephen King, titled 'Everything You Need to Know About Writing Successfully -- in Ten Minutes.' He really does tell you everything you need to know. I loved that essay."

[Source: Writer's Digest, March 2004, pages 41 & 60, respectively.]

Edited by - M.Chu on 24 Oct 2004 22:55:34
Go to Top of Page

Nicholas Liu

Singapore
59 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  00:30:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
I am not surprised that someone as explosively inept as Christopher Paolini thinks a Stephen King essay taught him everything he needs to know about writing.
Go to Top of Page

M.Chu

Singapore
31 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  20:24:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Hi Nicholas,

You're spot-on where the learning and practice of writing is concerned.

A book, essay, or instructor may well tell us all that is currently known and available based on experience and/or research. But, it takes much more for the reader to take what has been told to him and translate them into successful writing.

I submit that one has been taught well (but can still keep learning) if one's fiction-work is, amongst other yardsticks, on the bestseller list (i.e. entertaining/engaging enough for readers to pay $$$ for it) or on the receiving-end of accolade (i.e. commended by Lit. geeks).

Best regards,
M.Chu
Go to Top of Page

Nicholas Liu

Singapore
59 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2004 :  08:30:42  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
One wouldn't even need to be a reader to hold the opinions you do.
Go to Top of Page

M.Chu

Singapore
31 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2004 :  00:37:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Have a definite and burning DESIRE to succeed as a writer, and backs it up with FAITH.

You can if you think you can as your reading works in tandem with your writing.

======================================================================
"If you think you are beaten, you are,
If you think you dare not, you don't
If you like to win, but you think you can't
It is almost certain you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you're lost
For out of the world we find,
Success begins with a fellow's will --
It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are,
You've got to think high to rise,
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.

Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But soon or late the man who wins
Is the man WHO THINKS HE CAN!"

(Source: Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill © 2002 by Frederick Fell Publishers, Inc. ; page 77)

Go to Top of Page

alf

Singapore
92 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2004 :  11:04:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by M.Chu

Have a definite and burning DESIRE to succeed as a writer, and backs it up with FAITH.

You can if you think you can as your reading works in tandem with your writing.

"If you think you are beaten, you are,
If you think you dare not, you don't
If you like to win, but you think you can't
It is almost certain you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you're lost
For out of the world we find,
Success begins with a fellow's will --
It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are,
You've got to think high to rise,
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.

Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But soon or late the man who wins
Is the man WHO THINKS HE CAN!"

(Source: Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill © 2002 by Frederick Fell Publishers, Inc. ; page 77)

Stupid question perhaps, but what does it mean exactly to "win" as a writer?
Go to Top of Page

M.Chu

Singapore
31 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  15:22:45  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
To win a Literature prize and/or a prize in a writing competition. More generally, it would be to surmount life's battles so as to find the time to write.

Here are some more advice for writers:-

Excerpt from Q&A with Helen Fielding (Bridget Jones's Diary) By Alan Waldman

The best advice on writing I ever got was from novelist Muriel Spark, who said "Write as if you were writing to a friend. Do not to try to impress an imaginary audience who isn’t like you." My experience is that it’s always better to write about what you know. I would also say, "Rewrite as much as possible." I believe in showing it to a number of close friends who will be honest with you. Listen to what they say, and rewrite accordingly. I would also warn young writers that everything you do will always take three times longer than you think it will.
Source: http://www.wga.org

Excerpt from An Interview with Craig Pearce (Moulin Rouge) By Alan Waldman

The biggest thing is to believe in your instincts. Don’t try to write the film you think is going to be successful. Write the film you are really passionate about. If you look at the history of film, from Star Wars to Pulp Fiction to Moulin Rouge, it’s often the surprising ideas that are the surprise successes.
Source: http://www.wga.org

QUOTES ON WRITING :-

All The Voices Within Us Become Story
To discover the nature of others inside us may require a creative ruse or literary sleight of hand, even though the task is not different from understanding others in the world. The ability to enter the psyche of another being, real or imaginary, is the root task of creativity and an essential requirement for being in relationship and living in the world. If we cannot imagine and feel the experience of another different from ourselves, then we are not in dialogue or vitally connected to others.

What Do I Love ? (Things I Love)
How we care, what we care about, what we care for are the qualities that reveal character. It is not by one’s sins that you know someone but by what the person celebrates.

Of Writing
It “should , ideally, be as spontaneous and urgent as a letter to a lover, or a message to a friend who has just lost a parent … writing is, in the end, that oddest of anomalies: an intimate letter to a stranger.” --- Pico Iyer

Edited by - M.Chu on 21 Nov 2004 21:18:49
Go to Top of Page

alf

Singapore
92 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2004 :  15:17:17  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
quote:

To win a Literature prize and/or a prize in a writing competition.

Is that really a good reason to write?
Go to Top of Page

M.Chu

Singapore
31 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2004 :  22:42:14  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
No, although competition tends to draw many entries from aspirants and, well, published writers get nominated for Literature prizes.

Endeavour to be a writer primarily rather than write only because of the prizes. Prizes and/or print publication would be the icing to the cake should they come by.
Go to Top of Page

Nicholas Liu

Singapore
59 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2004 :  20:58:39  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
1) You contradict yourself.

2) You use a very lecturing tone. Who precisely are you lecturing?
Go to Top of Page

M.Chu

Singapore
31 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2004 :  22:34:16  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
1. As explained, I don't think it's a really good reason to write primarily for the sake of winning a prize although competition tends to draw many entries from aspirants and, well, published writers get nominated for Literature prizes.

2. Was just sharing my thoughts on the matter.

Go to Top of Page

alf

Singapore
92 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2004 :  09:22:15  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
quote:

.... although competition tends to draw many entries from aspirants and, well, published writers get nominated for Literature prizes.

I'm still curious -- is this necessarily a good thing?

Does it also follow that unpublished writers (a) don't get nominated for Lit. prizes; or (b) are not "successful"?

Does it then also follow that any published writer is must be more successful or a better writer than any unpublished one?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
QLRS Forum © QLRS & Contributors Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered by Snitz Forums 2000